Have you seen this on any of your crape myrtles? This is sooty mold, caused by an insect called scale. The scale feeds on your tree’s sap, and the sooty mold grows on the scale’s excrement aka poop. The first step to getting rid of the mold is to treat the tree with an insecticide for the scale. Once the scale is controlled, you can scrub the mold away with gentle dish soap and a rag or scrub brush.

We hope this was informative! If you have any questions or need insecticide treatment, let us know! Our estimates are fast and free. Just call us at 318-286-0967 or message us to get started.